By: Sharon Aron Baron
Some drivers age 50-plus have never looked back since they got their first driver’s license, but even the most experienced drivers can benefit from brushing up on their driving skills.
By taking a driver safety course they’ll learn the current rules of the road, defensive driving techniques and how to operate their vehicle more safely in today’s increasingly challenging driving environment. Drivers will learn how to can manage and accommodate common age-related changes in vision, hearing and reaction time. In addition, they’ll learn:
- How to minimize the effects of dangerous blind spots
- How to maintain the proper following distance behind another car
- The safest ways to change lanes and make turns at busy intersections
- Proper use of safety belts, air bags, antilock brakes and new technology found in cars today
- Ways to monitor their own and others’ driving skills and capabilities
- The effects of medications on driving
- The importance of eliminating distractions, such as eating, smoking and using a cellphone
After completing the course, they will have a greater appreciation of driving challenges and a better understanding of how to avoid potential collisions and injuring themself or others.
About the course
The AARP Smart Driver Course, offered by AARP Driver Safety, is the nation’s largest classroom and online driver safety course and is designed especially for drivers age 50 and older. Over 15 million participants have gone through AARP Driver Safety classroom and online courses, taught by more than 4,000 AARP Driver Safety volunteers.
The next class is a six-hour class set for both Wednesday May 23, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. and Thursday May 24, 2018 9:00 a.m. at the Tamarac Community Center The course cost $15 for AARP members and $20 for non-members – checks or money orders only. After completing the course you’ll receive a certificate of completion that can be presented to your insurance agent for a possible reduction in your auto insurance premiums. Call 954- 597-3637 to register.
The AARP is providing a class open to drivers of all ages. The Tamarac Community Center is located at 8601 W Commercial Blvd in Tamarac.