By: Sharon Aron Baron
Drowning remains the top killer of children under 4 in Broward County, so when an anonymous donor gave $70,000 to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, Sheriff Scott Israel knew just how to use the money. He partnered with Broward County’s SWIM Central to fund water safety lessons for 1,500 children.
On Tuesday, Sheriff Israel and Broward County Parks and Recreation Director Dan West will attend a children’s water safety lesson, where they will make announcement as well as discuss water safety.
According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, each child will have ten, half-hour lessons over a two-week period designed to keep that child from drowning or nearly drowning in one of South Florida’s thousands of pools, canals, lakes or in the ocean. More than 446,000 children have participated in the SWIM Central program since its inception, and not one has drowned or nearly drowned.
“Child drownings are 100 percent preventable,” Sheriff Scott Israel said. “There is no reason any family should have to endure the tragedy of a drowning or near drowning again in Broward County. I am so honored to help facilitate these potentially life-saving lessons with Broward County’s SWIM Central, and we are all thankful to the anonymous donor who made it possible.”
SWIM Central is the coordinating agency for water-safety instruction and awareness in Broward County. It is one of the only programs of its type in the country. For more information on water safety, visit www.watersmartbroward.org, SWIMCentral@Broward.org. or call 954-357-SWIM.
Central Broward Regional Park
10:30 a.m., June 30, 2015
Tropical Splash Water Park
3700 N.W. 11th Place, Lauderhill, FL 33311
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.07.22Register Now for the Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Twin Cup Golf Tournament
- News2021.07.10Tamarac Commission Remains Undecided on Millage Rate after 6 Hour Budget Meeting
- News2021.07.09Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Hosts Twin Cup Golf Tournament
- News2021.06.30Public Meetings Held for Atlantic Blvd Interchange Improvements at the Sawgrass Expressway