On Tuesday, Broward Sheriff’s Office Burglary Apprehension Team investigators, in conjunction with the Boca Raton Police, arrested four members of a family of thieves that targeted elderly victims including a Tamarac woman in a distraction burglary.
It started when David Thompson, 53, knocked on 92 year-old Mayetta Scartz’s front door in the Woodmont community and told her he had to clean debris from her yard and treat her lawn. He used this rouse to distract the victim and asked her to walk with him to the backyard. Meanwhile, Skippy, 21, Bill, 24, and Rocky, 51, entered the victim’s home through the front door and stole several hundred dollars from the victim’s bedroom.
Detectives believe the crew has committed several distraction thefts targeting seniors throughout south Florida. They are asking any additional victims to contact authorities.
All four men face charges for burglary and grand theft. Additionally, David Thompson faces a possession of cannabis charge and Rocky Thompson faces a charge for driving with a suspended license.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Sgt. Valerie Devlin at (954) 321-4100 or report anonymous tips to Crime Stoppers of Broward County at (954) 493-TIPS (8477) or online at www.browardcrimestoppers.org. Crime Stoppers will pay up to $3,000 for information that leads to an arrest.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.03.22FBI Miami Warns of $13 Million ‘Grandparent Scam’ Targeting Seniors
- News2023.03.21The Voice of Romance, Johnny Mathis, Celebrates 67 Years in Music with a Special Performance in Coral Springs
- News2023.03.19Woman Dies 5 Weeks After Multi-Vehicle Crash in North Lauderdale
- News2023.03.18Adopt These Adorable Pets: Onyx and Toes Are Looking for Their Forever Homes at the Humane Society of Broward County