By: Sharon Aron Baron
Political powerhouse and former Tamarac City Commissioner Diane Glasser passed away on Tuesday morning at the age of 89.
Originally from Mill Basin in Brooklyn, Glasser went to college and high school in New York. In 1973, both Diane and her husband moved to the City of Tamarac where she worked for twelve years in the construction industry.
Throughout her long career, Diane became a powerhouse in Broward County politics starting as a volunteer with the Broward County Democratic Party. She was also elected to the Democratic National Convention as a delegate to the last six Democratic National Conventions.
According to Congressman Alcee Hastings, Diane is a “graduate” of the Electoral College, casting a vote on Florida’s behalf for Former President Bill Clinton in 1996; and then for Former Vice President Al Gore in the highly contested 2000 election.
In 2004, the Florida Democratic Party appointed Glasser as their First Vice Chair. She served on a number of advisory boards, including the Broward County Human Rights Board and the Broward County School Board’s Senior Citizens Involvements Task Force.
She began her political career in Tamarac representing the politically influential Kings Point Tamarac community as a city council member in 1991, giving up her seat the next year to run unsuccessfully as mayor.
She was elected as a city commissioner in 2008 and was reelected each term until 2016. She also served as vice mayor in 2011 – 2012 and again in 2015 – 2016.
Services for Diane Glasser will be held Sunday, October 15 at 10:30 a.m. at Star of David 7801 Bailey Road in North Lauderdale (954) 722-9000.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk and Parkland Talk.
Tamarac Talk was created in 2010 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Tamarac.
- News2020.02.23Gov. DeSantis Announces $8 million Incentive to Help Veterans Buy Homes
- Crime & Safety2020.02.23Tamarac Crime Update: Latest Incidents Through February 18
- Crime & Safety2020.02.19Vehicle Strikes Pole, Leaving One Dead in Tamarac
- Crime & Safety2020.02.18Burglar Uses Ploy Before Smashing His Way into Neighbor’s Home