September is here, marking the halfway point of the Hurricane season and the upcoming autumn season.
Interested in cultivating more mindfulness and incorporating meditation into your lifestyle? Studies show that meditation helps reduce stress and counter the effects of anxiety and depression. Meditation has also been shown to decrease high blood pressure and strengthen the immune system and brain cognition. Take advantage of this incredible wellness technique available here in Tamarac on the 1st and 3rd Friday of the month at 11:15 a.m. at the Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Boulevard. A skilled instructor will guide and prepare guests for the meditation process, followed by a 30-minute meditation session. Online access is available via Zoom. Space is limited, and guests must register for in-person or virtual sessions by calling (954) 597-3642.
As a fur-mama to three dogs and two cats, I’m looking forward to the Furever Friends Pet Expo on Saturday, September 10, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at Tamarac Park, 7501 N. University Drive. Attendees will learn about pet CPR through a demonstration by the American Red Cross. Demonstrations will take place at 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Guests will also receive a voucher for free rabies vaccination, microchipping, and spay/neuter services from Broward County (while supplies last). Local vendors will offer on-site pet services, pet food, and one-of-a-kind products. We’re also accepting canned pet food donations for our City’s food pantry to help residents with pets. I look forward to seeing you and your fur babies!
The City of Tamarac’s budget meetings for the Fiscal Year 2023 will take place at 5:05 p.m. on Monday, September 12, and Thursday, September 22, at the Commission Chambers in City Hall, 7525 NW 88th Avenue. The meetings are open to the public and will cover assessments, millage rates, and budget ordinances. You can also stream the meetings live online at the City’s website tamarac.org/617/City-Commission-Meetings and Facebook Live facebook.com/tamarac.florida.
Please join us for Zumba on Friday, September 16 for the next Move with the Mayor event led by Maria. This free class is a fun way to jump-start or maintain your health by moving your body to some great music with a fun and supportive group. The class begins at 6:00 p.m. and will be held indoors at the Tamarac Community Center ballroom, 8601 W. Commercial Boulevard.
I’m thrilled to welcome the return of our One Tamarac Multicultural Festival, after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic! Come and celebrate our City’s diversity at this exciting event on Saturday, September 17, from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Sports Complex, 9901 NW 77th Street. Parking is limited. Free shuttle transportation will be available to visitors departing from City Hall, 7525 NW 88th Avenue., and the Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Boulevard., between 3:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., and following the fireworks. Stop by and enjoy an evening of entertainment, cultural exhibits, food trucks, a fun zone for the kids, and a beautiful fireworks display. You won’t want to miss it!
Calling all board game lovers! Please join me for an exciting board game night on Friday, September 30 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Community Center ballroom, 8601 W. Commercial Boulevard. Come as a group or individually and let’s all have some fun playing checkers, dominoes, chess, Monopoly, and more. Snacks and drinks will be available for purchase from onsite food trucks. This free event is open to all. Look forward to seeing you!
- Food distributions continue every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., or while supplies last, at the Korean United Methodist Church, 6501 W. Commercial Boulevard.
- We appreciate your patience during the two traffic-calming construction projects (along 70th Avenue/McNab Road and Hiatus Road).
- Broward College is offering workforce training opportunities through its Broward UP program. They’re offering various fast-track programs in Project Management, Marketing, Construction: OSHA Standards, Supply Chain Management with Forklift Simulation, and more over the next couple of months. For more information, visit www.Broward.edu/BrowardUp.
- Hispanic Unity of Florida (HUF) offers free income support services for all residents needing help with applications for Medicaid, ACA/Obamacare, Florida Kidcare, and SNAP/food stamps at the Tamarac Community Center (TCC). You can get support every Monday from July 11 until October 10 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at TCC, 8601 W. Commercial Boulevard. Se Habla Español.
- As always, I remain available to discuss any matters or suggestions you may have about our City. You can reach me by email at Michelle.Gomez@Tamarac.org or on my cell phone at (954) 263-1918.
For today, every day, and especially in remembrance of September 11, 2001:
remember those who died unnecessarily;
thank all of our first responders and servicemen and women who protect us;
thank those who are preparing to be our future defenders;
thank their families as well;
thank the unsung heroes, and
remain proud to be living in our wonderful country!
L’Shanah Tovah to everyone celebrating the Jewish New Year!
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.