By: Sharon Aron Baron
Speed played a factor when a 16 year-old flipped his car in Tamarac sending both him and his 14 year-old passenger to the hospital.
On January 5, at 4:43 a.m., Broward Sheriff’s Office responded to a medical call on Rock Island and Sabal Palm Boulevard near the Woodlands Country Club. Upon arrival, the deputy noticed a 2008 Honda Accord involved in a single-vehicle rollover a half mile south of the initial call location and two black male passengers were out of the vehicles.
Tamarac Fire Rescue was on the scene and treated the driver, 16, who sustained a broken femur, while the deputy attempted to gain further information from the passenger who was alert and conscious and appeared uninjured. He asked the passenger, 14, for his information and as he went into his right front pants pocket, he retrieved an empty black wallet along with a yellow plastic container which had several types of window punches – typically used for burglaries. He wrote down his name and date of birth and was then treated for possible injuries by Tamarac Fire Rescue. The vehicle was not reported stolen, however, had dealer’s tags and belonged to the listed dealer.
The investigation into the rollover revealed that the vehicle was traveling southbound on Rock Island Road from Commercial Blvd at a high rate of speed. The vehicle appeared to be traveling in the left lane and lost control at Sago Palm Blvd, cutting across north bound lanes and then into the grassy area just east of the roadway. The vehicle then struck a FPL wooden light pole which broke in half and subsequently flipped the vehicle horizontally. Both occupants were able to exit the vehicle and flag down oncoming vehicles.
Both teens were transported to Broward General Hospital.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.07.22Register Now for the Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Twin Cup Golf Tournament
- News2021.07.10Tamarac Commission Remains Undecided on Millage Rate after 6 Hour Budget Meeting
- News2021.07.09Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Hosts Twin Cup Golf Tournament
- News2021.06.30Public Meetings Held for Atlantic Blvd Interchange Improvements at the Sawgrass Expressway