By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Tamarac Historical Society releases a book on May 13 by Arcadia Publishing boasting more than 200 vintage and modern images chronicling the growth and change of our city.
“This is very exciting for us and all sales will help us achieve our mission of researching and exhibiting the history of our city,” said Historical Society President Barbara Tarnove.
Kenneth E. Behring created Tamarac in 1963 and through his vision, built a city with all the maintenance and recreational facilities included. The promise of the best weather, affordable single-family homes and the opportunity to be part of a growing area was exciting to all. The first development, Tamarac Lakes, consisting of 250 homes and a clubhouse, became the model of what was to come.
“Go west, young man,” quoting American author Horace Greely, can be aptly applied to Behring’s drive to expand westward. Stymied because the only direct access west was through a stock tunnel, Behring convinced the State of Florida to build an overpass crossing the Sunshine State Parkway for access. The next project was to create the he Woodlands, an upscale private golf club community. It offered larger houses built with the more affluent in mind, which included Behring’s own home.
Tamarac continued to grow west with the purchase of 5,000 acres, more than doubling the city’s acreage. With growth came roads, businesses and political infrastructure, which continues to attract cultural diversity, making Tamarac the “City For Your Life.”
Highlights of Tamarac include:
• Rarely before seen images donated from the city, private collections of local residents and Mr. Kenneth Behring, the city’s founder.
• The origin of the city’s name: Tamarac.
• History of the area’s public art, parks, schools and the historical society.
The Tamarac Historical Society will be selling the books and can be reached at email@example.com 954-597-3629. For each book they sell, they will be giving away a copy of Behring’s book “Road to Purpose” while supply lasts. Two books for the price of $21.99 cash or checks only.
The Tamarac Historical Society will be at all Tamarac city events as well, starting with the Health Expo on May 18th, Memorial Day celebration, Independence Day, and the Time Capsule dedication on July 19th. You can also find them at the Community Center the first and third Tuesday of every month selling the book. They will deliver any books that are ordered through email or by phone.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.01.272 Arrested for Robbery and Shooting in North Lauderdale: Victim Remains in Critical Condition
- News2023.01.26School Choice Application Deadline for 2023/24 Fast Approaching
- News2023.01.26Pets of the Week: Juno and Jax Are Looking for Forever Homes
- News2023.01.25MISSING: Detectives Search for Woman From Tamarac