By: Sharon Aron Baron
On Monday, September 26th, information will be presented regarding the Colony West proposal to the City Commission for discussion. Then on Wednesday, September 28, it will be brought up for public comment. Monday’s meeting starts at 9:30 a.m., and Wednesday’s meeting begins at 9:00 a.m.
According to Andy Berns, economic affairs officer the point of purchasing Colony West, 6800 W. Pine Island Road, would be to preserve open space.
The City is considering purchasing 262 acres.
Commissioner Harry Dressler said, “The City is interested in buying land, not a golf course business. We are interested in buying land because the City wants to control the open space for environmental and other reasons.”
Dressler added, “While controlling land is our primary purpose, the possibility of our leasing the land to a golf management company, as long as the City does not have to make large continued capital investments in course upkeep, is a strategy that makes sense.”
Former Mayor Joe Schreiber asked commissioners why they were thinking about spending $3 million to protect Colony West from developers when they already have the right to vote against any future development.
“The city does not intend to be in the golf course business, ” said Dressler, “Our strategy would be, if feasible, to be an owner and landlord of land. As such, the City would be the steward of the land and in control of its future at ideally no profit or loss to the taxpayers. This is the environmental driver of the City’s long term strategic plan.”
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.03.22FBI Miami Warns of $13 Million ‘Grandparent Scam’ Targeting Seniors
- News2023.03.21The Voice of Romance, Johnny Mathis, Celebrates 67 Years in Music with a Special Performance in Coral Springs
- News2023.03.19Woman Dies 5 Weeks After Multi-Vehicle Crash in North Lauderdale
- News2023.03.18Adopt These Adorable Pets: Onyx and Toes Are Looking for Their Forever Homes at the Humane Society of Broward County