President Obama made a stop in South Florida at the Hollywood Diplomat Hotel this week and Tamarac resident Michele Kanarek was able to see him for the third time.
The last time Kanarek saw the President was at his inauguration back in 2009. This time, there were about a million less people and the temperatures were a lot more bearable than the cold temperatures of that January day.
President Obama made several stops through South Florida this week while attending various fundraisers. One of them was Obama Victory Fund Dinner at the Hollywood Diplomat Hotel where Michele and her husband Barry attended.
Michele, who was one of the first South Florida volunteers in 2007 before Obama was even considered as the front runner democratic nominee, first volunteered when she saw an online advertisement called “Broward for Obama.”
As a volunteer, Michele worked phone banks and canvassed door-to-door getting people to register throughout the tri-county area. She also made sure people had rides to polling stations. Michele felt Obama could win from the day she first heard his keynote speech at the 2004 convention.
Michele first met President Obama at the Bank Atlantic Center in 2007. It was there where she was able to meet him personally as he shook the hands of all the volunteers. The second time she saw him was on inauguration day in 2009 when she and another volunteer received tickets for the event from one of the campaign leaders.
This week was her third time to see him, and being on the front row allowed her to shake his hand after his speech, which again, was exciting for her.
It was as if I were reliving 2007. His speech has inspired many of my friends who attended to recommit to volunteering once again.”
Both Michele and her husband Barry, a retired physician, live in Tamarac. In 2009, they found a home in the Woodlands Country Club that Michele was able to apply her expertise in computer architectural drafting and design and totally renovate. Barry enjoys golfing in the community and they love the beautiful setting in their community.
Michele plans to do more work volunteering during this campaign season and hopes to attend more fundraisers as Florida will be an important deciding state in the Presidential election.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.06.08Celebrating Excellence: Meet Our Local Valedictorians and Salutatorians for 2023
- News2023.05.31Temple Beth Torah Sha’aray Tzedek Holds Shabbat Services in Spanish, Hebrew and English
- News2023.05.27Planet Fitness Launches High School Summer Pass Program to Combat Teen Obesity and Boost Mental Health
- News2023.05.26Joint Tactical Training Exercise to Commence in Broward County