By: Sharon Aron Baron
The JP Taravella High School Jazz Band will soon be heading to New York City to play at the Lincoln Center. Before they do, they’ll be holding a concert fundraiser to help defray the costs.
The highly rated jazz band ensemble, which has received countless accolades locally, regionally, and nationally and soon will be be participating in a one-of-a-kind competition called “Essentially Ellington – High School Jazz Band Competition & Festival” in May hosted by Wynton Marsalis and Jazz at Lincoln Center.
“We are excited to travel to New York and clinic with the JALC (Jazz at Lincoln Center) staff,” said Director Cheldon Williams. “The music of the the 20’s and 30’s is becoming more and more a part of the curriculum at JPT, and we are learning so much about our heritage through this music.”
To help defray the costs of this trip, the band will host “An Evening at the Savoy” on Saturday, March 12, from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m at the Tamarac Community Center.
The event will consist of fine dining and musical entertainment where the jazz band will entertain their guests the entire evening.
Purchase tickets for $25 pp at www.jptmusic.org. The price includes dinner, drinks, desserts, and show. Can’t attend? Then help the band get to New York City by donating to their GoFundme Page and giving whatever you can.
The Tamarac Community Center is located at 8601 W Commercial Blvd, Tamarac, FL 33351.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Broward County Schools Opens 2024/25 School Choice Options
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Talk Media Named 2023 Finalist by the Florida Press Club
- NewsNovember 16, 2023Tamarac Launches Campaign to Become Autism Friendly, Enhancing Inclusivity
- NewsNovember 14, 2023Dog Rescued from Tamarac Dumpster Now Safe with Foster Family