By Sharon Aron Baron
Broward County Public Schools and the Broward Teachers Union have announced the completion of tentative contract agreements for Education Support Professionals and Technical Support Professionals bargaining units.
The agreements will represent a total investment of more than $6 million in compensation increases for these workers.
The Education Support Professionals’ (ESP) agreement includes salary increases of at least 4% for program assistants, teachers’ assistants, and classroom assistants retroactive to July 1, 2022, and a one-time bonus of $1,000 for all program assistants, teachers’ assistants, and classroom assistants.
Additionally, ESP employees on the 187-day calendar will now work a 188-day calendar, returning to work during pre-planning for an additional planning day. This agreement extends the agreement between BTU-ESPs and the District through the 2025/26 school year.
For Technical Support Professionals (TSPs), the tentative agreement includes salary increases of at least 4% for all TSPs retroactive to July 1, 2022, and a one-time bonus of $1,000 for all TSPs.
“We are very happy that our hard-working ESPs and TSPs are receiving a meaningful raise,” said Anna Fusco, President of the BTU. “These employees are sometimes behind the scenes, but our District and our schools couldn’t function without them. It is gratifying to know that the School Board recognizes their value.”
In addition, agreed-upon changes under Article 11 (k), Advanced Degree Incentives, will recognize federal government licenses. The changes will also eliminate the requirement for employees with an advanced degree, which is not contained as a requirement in their job description, to be in a related field.
“I commend our District staff and BTU negotiating team for their collaborative efforts to reach these tentative agreements and our School Board members for their support throughout this process,” said Interim Superintendent Dr. Earlean C. Smiley. “We appreciate the dedication of our Education Support Professionals and Technical Support Professionals who provide critical support to our teachers, administrators, and staff to ensure our students receive a high-quality education.”
The tentative agreements must be ratified by the ESP and TSP bargaining unit members and approved by the Broward County School Board.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- NewsDecember 10, 2023Meet 2 Delightful Companions Awaiting Their Forever Homes at the Humane Society of Broward County
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Broward County Schools Opens 2024/25 School Choice Options
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Talk Media Named 2023 Finalist by the Florida Press Club
- NewsNovember 16, 2023Tamarac Launches Campaign to Become Autism Friendly, Enhancing Inclusivity