News Service of Florida
With a draft opinion indicating the U.S. Supreme Court could be poised to overturn the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, state numbers show Florida had 16,623 abortions in a little more than the first three months of 2022.
According to World Population Review, Florida ranks 5th in the United States, with the District of Columbia at number 1.
According to an April 5 report by the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration, here are counties that totaled the most abortions during the period. The numbers reflect county residents who had abortions, not necessarily the counties where abortions took place.
- Miami-Dade County: 2,856
- Broward County: 2,248
- Hillsborough County: 1,282
- Out-of-state residents: 1,160
- Orange County: 1,148
- Palm Beach County: 1,033
- Duval County: 990
- Pinellas County: 755
- Polk County: 507
- Lee County: 389
- Pasco County: 277
- Alachua County: 265
- Brevard County: 265
- Osceola County: 255
- Marion County: 239
- Leon County: 236
- Seminole County: 233
- Manatee County: 225
- Volusia County: 214
- Sarasota County: 191
The leaked draft was made public just shy of two months before a new Florida law will go into effect prohibiting most abortions past 15 weeks of pregnancy. Gov. Ron DeSantis last month signed the measure, which will take effect July 1. Roe v. Wade generally has allowed women to have abortions until about 24 weeks of pregnancy.
Responding to the U.S. Supreme Court draft opinion Tuesday, DeSantis touted the new state abortion law as “the strongest that Florida has seen in decades” and said the state is prepared to defend it from lawsuits challenging its constitutionality.
Source: Florida Agency for Health Care Administration report dated April 5
- Florida News Service is the largest legislative news team in the state, providing provide gavel-to-gavel coverage of House and Senate sessions and more.
- News2022.07.26Sales Tax ‘Holiday’ on School-Related Items Now Through Aug. 7
- News2022.07.06Citizens Seeks to Help Defend Insurance Law
- News2022.06.30Residents Can Save On These Items During Florida’s Sales Tax “Freedom Week”
- News2022.06.27Gas Prices Drop Heading into Holiday: Lowest Prices in Tamarac