By Kevin Deutsch
A man was arrested Friday for strangling his mother at her Tamarac home, court records show.
The attack happened after Jason Overbeck, 43, of Tamarac, told his mother to “shut the f— up” as she chatted with her husband in their bed, according to an arrest affidavit filed by the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
The victim’s husband told his stepson, Overbeck, not to speak to his mother that way, after which Overbeck “grabbed his biological mother by the neck against her will,” deputies wrote.
The victim’s husband intervened, and she was able to escape and call 911. She suffered minor injuries to her neck, records show.
Overbeck was charged with domestic battery by strangulation and booked into the North Broward Bureau Jail, according to BSO.
He was being held Wednesday on a $25,000 bond.
Overbeck was previously arrested on battery by strangulation and other charges in July after he allegedly strangled his stepfather during a separate domestic violence battery in North Lauderdale, court records show.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsJuly 18, 2023Detectives Search for Serial Thief who Struck 4 Times at North Lauderdale Walmart
- NewsJuly 16, 2023Detectives Search for Missing Tamarac Man
- NewsJuly 5, 2023Lauderhill Boy Suffers Facial Burns, Partial Amputation of Fingers in Fireworks Accident
- NewsJune 30, 2023North Lauderdale Woman Struck by SUV Dies