September is here, marking the halfway point of the hurricane season and the upcoming autumn season. It also means we’re in the final stretch of the third quarter. Time sure does fly!
Enrollment for Tamarac’s owner-occupied Minor Home Program is now open. This program assists qualifying Tamarac households with funding for home repairs on their existing home for impact windows, impact doors, roof replacement, safety hazards, and more. Applicants’ annual gross household income cannot exceed the amounts determined in the guidelines. To view eligibility guidelines or apply, visit www.tamarac.org/425.
Join us in honoring the victims and heroes of 9/11 with BSO and Tamarac Fire Rescue on September 11 at Retro Fitness, 8129 N. Pine Island Rd. The event will begin with a moment of silence at 8:30 a.m., followed by a StairMaster challenge where members of our BSO and Tamarac Fire Rescue and other participants will walk 111 flights of stairs to honor the brave heroes who trekked 110 flights to save lives. The extra flight of stairs represents the innocent people who died that fateful day.
Please join us for our first Public Hearing/Adoption of Final Assessments and Tentative Millage Rate and Budget on Thursday, September 14, and the second Public Hearing/Adoption of the Final Millage Rage and Budget on Tuesday, September 26. Both meetings begin at 5:05 p.m. and will take place in the Commission Chamber at City Hall Chambers, 7525 NW 88th Ave.
The City of Tamarac will hold a Multimodal Transportation Connectivity Master Plan Meeting on Thursday, September 21, to help improve transportation options and enhance mobility throughout the city. This public meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. at The Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Blvd. This is an excellent opportunity to share your thoughts and ideas, so please stop by.
Our next Movie with the Mayor event features a free Zumba class led by Maria on Friday, September 22. Zumba is a fun way to jump-start or maintain your health by moving your body to great music with a fun and supportive group. The class begins at 6:00 p.m. and will be held indoors at the Tamarac Community Center Ballroom.
On Saturday, September 23, the City of Tamarac is hosting Vintage Family Fun Day, offering residents some good old-fashioned fun! There’ll be games, bounce houses, a magic show, food vendors, face painting, and more for visitors to enjoy. The event runs from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and will be held at Mainlands Park, 4500 Monterey Dr. For questions, call (954) 597-3620 or visit www.tamarac.org/specialevents.
The Tamarac Parks & Recreation Re’Union series continues this month with a Family Re’Union Dinner on Saturday, September 26, at the Tamarac Community Center. There’ll be yummy food and fun activities for participants to enjoy, so invite your friends and family. Dinner starts at 6:30 p.m. and costs $3 per participant. Register for the event at www.tamarac.me/events.
Are you passionate about public safety? If so, join the City’s Citizen Observer Patrol Park Unit and help keep our community safe by volunteering for BSO’s COPS program. The program teaches members how to strengthen our community by reporting suspicious activity and patrolling our parks and neighborhoods with a hands-off approach. For more information on volunteering, call Deputy Jennifer Marion at (954) 247-6016 or email her at Jennifer_Marion@sheriff.org.
Registration for the Community Garage Sale is open! Early bird pricing is $20 for vendors and is only available until September 27. Late registration costs $35 from September 28 to October 5. You can register in person at the Tamarac Community Center and Recreation Center or online at www.Tamarac.me/webtrac.
Broward College is offering new workforce training opportunities through their Broward UP program this month. They have several free fast-track programs in Excel, Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), Home Health Aide with Skills, Project Management Ready (PMR), and Digital Marketing Certificate (ME-facilitation) for interested residents. For more information, visit www.Broward.edu/Browardup.
Please save the date of Friday, October 13, 2023! We’re going to laugh the night away at the first Ha-Ha’s with the Tatas Comedy Show with comedian host Cindy-Ann Boisson and headliner Dougie Almedia at Colony West, 6850 NW 88th Ave. They’ll be joined by comedians Amber Joy Layne, Perry Sak, Angela Nacca, and Nadeem Awad as we raise money and cancer awareness. Doors open at 7:15 p.m., and the program begins at 8:00 p.m. Ticket prices range from $75.00 to $150.00 per person. Proceeds will be distributed to Gilda’s Club and the Tamarac Employee Benevolent Fund. Attendees can submit photos of cancer warriors for tribute at email@example.com. Purchase tickets online at https://ha-has4thetatas.Eventbrite.com.
- Food distributions continue every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.*, or while supplies last, at the Korean United Methodist Church, 6501 W. Commercial Boulevard. (*No distribution on Saturday, September 2nd, due to Labor Day weekend.)
- Get local fresh produce, delicious bites, pet treats, artisanal goodies, and more at the Tamarac Community Farmer’s Market. It’s currently being held at Tamarac Park, 7501 N. University Dr., from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. every Sunday.
- The City of Tamarac is hosting a Circle of Support group every Monday, 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Tamarac Community Center. This group is led by a licensed mental health therapist and is open to all. Guests will learn strategies to cope with life changes. For more information, please call 954-597-3642.
- Don’t miss Food Truck Fridays every last Friday of the month between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Blvd. Stop by with the family and choose from various delicious food vendors. There’ll be lots of fun, music, and games for everyone to enjoy!
- The Tamarac Pet Pantry has donations available for pet families in need! The Pantry is located at the Tamarac Recreation Center, 7501 North University Dr., and is open by appointment on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday and Thursday of each month. The first appointment is at 1 p.m., and the last is at 6 p.m. We accept new and unopened food products for dogs and cats if the food isn’t expired. For more information, please visit http://bit.ly/3n06nY8or call (954) 597-3642.
- Very honored to receive the inaugural Florida League of Mayors, Inc. Mayors Municipal Innovation Award for Quality of Life for our Pet Pantry!
For today, every day, and especially in remembrance of September 11, 2001, Remember those who died unnecessarily.
- Thank all of our first responders and servicemen and women who protect us;
- Thank those who are preparing to be our future defenders;
- Thank their families and friends as well;
- Thank the unsung heroes and
- Remain proud to be living in our wonderful country!
L’Shanah Tovah to everyone celebrating the Jewish New Year and Happy Labor Day!
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.