By Sharon Aron Baron
The City of Tamarac invites residents to celebrate Juneteenth with live music and lots of fun.
Juneteenth, also called Freedom Day, marks the abolition of slavery in the United States. On June 19, 1865, the announcement of the Emancipation Proclamation came to Galveston, Texas, freeing thousands of enslaved men, women, and children.
The Valerie Tyson Band is led by vocalist Valerie Tyson, regarded as Florida’s “Queen of Soul.” She’s performed with Gloria Estefan and has opened shows for Janet Jackson, Al Green, and New Edition.
Comprised of nine talented members, the band will entertain Tamarac residents with today’s popular music, jazz, classic rock, blues, and reggae.
Other activities include Ashanti Cultural Arts, guest speakers, food vendors, a Kids Zone with inflatables, crafts, and face painting.
This free event is held at the Tamarac Sports Complex, at 9901 NW 77th St on Saturday, June 18, between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Broward County Schools Opens 2024/25 School Choice Options
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Talk Media Named 2023 Finalist by the Florida Press Club
- NewsNovember 16, 2023Tamarac Launches Campaign to Become Autism Friendly, Enhancing Inclusivity
- NewsNovember 14, 2023Dog Rescued from Tamarac Dumpster Now Safe with Foster Family