By Saraana Jamraj
While Tamarac Parks and Recreation haven’t been able to hold any classes in person recently due to the stay-at-home orders, they’ve found ways to continue serving the public through Zoom classes, drawing in an average of 50 users.
At Wednesday’s virtual City Commission meeting, Parks and Recreation Director Greg Warner said they were providing 20 hours of class time per week to keep residents engaged.
The department is hosting 11 different exercise classes weekly, as well as creative writing and drawing classes, arts & crafts, and Youth Council meetings each week.
Warner said that initially, they weren’t sure how participation would go, but that people are taking full advantage of the access.
Last week, a Jazzercise class hosted 126 people at once, and the Kids Zumba class has been picking up momentum as well.
On top of all existing classes, Parks and Recreation have future plans to include a beginner’s Spanish language class and an NBA 2k20 Virtual Basketball Tournament on Xbox.
The upcoming virtual recreation schedule includes the following classes: Tai-chi/Qigong, Yogalates, Zumba, Creative Writing, Jazzercise, Kickboxing, Sit & Fit, Mat Yoga & Meditation, Chair Yoga and Meditation, Stretch and Strong, Absolute Beginners Line Dancing, Spanish, Drawing Experience, Zumba Kids, and Booty Barre.
All the classes are free, and to participate, residents must enter the class’s meeting ID on Zoom through their computer or mobile device.
The full schedule can be found on Tamarac’s website.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. Born in Trinidad and raised in America, she completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- News2020.10.30Tamarac’s Controversial Red Light Camera Program Comes to an End
- News2020.10.30Free Food Distribution Dates for November Announced
- News2020.10.27City Commission to Discuss Living Wages and Phones for Unemployed
- News2020.10.27Photos and Quotes: What Voters Are Saying at the Polls in Tamarac