Who has the fastest thumbs in South Florida?
It would have to be Tamarac resident Katie Megel who has earned a place among 12 finalists in the annual LG US National Texting Championship in New York City where she has a chance to win a $50,000 cash prize.
Katie, 26, originally from Colorado Springs, Colorado has been living in the Woodlands in Tamarac Florida for 2 1/2 years with her parents Gary and Jeanne Megel. “We love living here and love having a pool. The weather is great and everyone is really nice in the Woodlands.”
Katie started playing LG Texter contest on Facebook until she earned a spot in the qualifying round this summer. After earning her spot as a semi-finalist, she found out on Wednesday that she is one of 13 finalists in the contest and will be flown to New York City by LG to compete in their fifth annual championship.
In what seems to be the biggest challenge, contestants like Katie usually practice their texting skills on their own phones. For the championship, finalists will be using the new LG DoublePlay multitasking handset, featuring a split QWERTY keyboard which was sent to Katie overnight for her to practice on.
The fifth annual championship will bring Katie and the fastest, most talented thumbs in America to the historic Altman Building in New York City to face-off for the chance to be named the winner. Reigning champion Brianna Hendrickson, who took home the 2010 title at just 13 years-old, is the contestant to beat.
As the competitors race through challenges designed to test texting speed, accuracy and dexterity. They will need to type phrases on their LG DoublePlay exactly as they appear on LG plasma screens, while distracted by blind folds, complex phrases and marathon game play.
Katie currently works at Nordstom in Aventura Mall as a Sales Associate. As a graduate of fashion design school in Los Angeles, she would like to use her prize money to start her own fashion line.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024J.P. Taravella Drama Club Hosts Community Yard Sale and Craft Show on February 24
- NewsFebruary 16, 2024Detectives Search for Tamarac Man Missing Since Early January
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024“You’re a Fraud”: Tamarac Commissioner Blasts Website Tied to Marlon Bolton
- NewsFebruary 12, 2024Free Boot Camp Held to Boost Students’ Federal Aid Applications