By Kevin Deutsch
Shopping was hardly a pleasure for one Publix patron in Tamarac.
After the patron forgot his credit card in a checkout payment machine on June 24, authorities said the next shopper ripped him off by using the victim’s forgotten card to buy more than $200 worth of groceries.
Broward Sheriff’s Office Tamarac District detectives on Thursday released surveillance video of the crime, which happened just after 5 p.m. Once the victim paid for his items, the next customer in line–an unidentified man wearing a New York Yankees baseball cap—discovered the victim’s credit card in the payment machine, used it to pay for his groceries, and took the credit card with him when he left the store, investigators said.
BSO did not identify the Tamarac Publix store where the theft happened.
Anyone with information about the thief’s identity, or the woman with him, is asked to contact BSO Tamarac District Detective Jonathan Masri at 954-720-2225 or to submit a tip through the SaferWatch app.
They can also contact Broward Crime Stoppers anonymously at 954-493-TIPS (8477), visit browardcrimestoppers.org, or call **TIPS (8477) from any cell phone in the United States.
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsJuly 18, 2023Detectives Search for Serial Thief who Struck 4 Times at North Lauderdale Walmart
- NewsJuly 16, 2023Detectives Search for Missing Tamarac Man
- NewsJuly 5, 2023Lauderhill Boy Suffers Facial Burns, Partial Amputation of Fingers in Fireworks Accident
- NewsJune 30, 2023North Lauderdale Woman Struck by SUV Dies