By Kevin Deutsch
A 21-year-old woman was killed on the Sawgrass Expressway in Tamarac Wednesday, authorities said.
The woman’s sedan was traveling north in the expressway’s right lane shortly after 11:20 a.m. when it veered onto the paved shoulder, then onto the grass shoulder. According to the Florida Highway Patrol, it struck the back of a northbound pickup truck, about a mile north of W. Commercial Boulevard.
The sedan’s driver’s side door embedded in the pickup truck’s rear end as “both vehicles rotated counter-clockwise,” and the pickup truck hit a tree, according to an FHP press release.
The truck “came to final rest facing west on the outside grass shoulder with its rear right on the left side of” the sedan, troopers wrote.
The sedan’s driver “succumbed to the injuries caused by the crash and was pronounced deceased on scene.”
The name of the woman, who troopers said lived in Pompano Beach, was not made public.
The pickup truck’s driver, a Miami resident, suffered minor injuries, according to FHP.
Troopers were investigating the crash late Wednesday.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2021.11.26Tamarac Crime Update: Disturbance on School Grounds After Expulsions
- News2021.11.22Miami-Dade Police Officer Dead After Suicide Attempt in Tamarac
- News2021.11.19Tamarac Crime Update: Assault and Auto Theft
- News2021.11.18Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick Certified as Winner of Democratic Primary