By Kevin Deutsch
A woman was killed in a multi-vehicle crash in Tamarac Friday, authorities said.
According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, Wayne Colbert, 25, of Tamarac, was driving a 2020 Kia Optima north on Prospect Road around 9:37 a.m. when he failed to stop at a red light at the intersection of West Commercial Boulevard. The Kia struck a Nissan Versa traveling west on West Commercial Boulevard, causing a T-bone-type collision, authorities said.
The impact of the crash redirected the Nissan and caused it to strike a 2020 Toyota Corolla, which was stopped at the red traffic light in the southbound lanes of Prospect Road, BSO investigators said.
Colbert fled the crash scene, according to BSO. However, witnesses provided deputies with his description, and authorities said he was located a short time later.
Tamarac Fire Rescue transported four people—the drivers involved and two passengers—to a nearby hospital for treatment.
A female passenger in the Nissan Versa was pronounced dead at approximately 12:46 p.m. from injuries she suffered in the crash. Neither her name nor age was made public by BSO.
The investigation is continuing, authorities said. No criminal charges had been announced as of Monday morning.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsFebruary 17, 2024Bolton Says He Won’t Accept Benefits From Tamarac’s Shaker Village Deal
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Detectives Arrest Suspect in Fire That Killed Tamarac Woman
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Tamarac Rejects Land Sale to Developer for Village Project
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024BSO Makes 17 Arrests After String of Tamarac Car Thefts