By Kevin Deutsch
A 73-year-old Tamarac man is out on bond after he allegedly brandished a pistol, threatened to shoot a group of school kids, and chased them down with his car while intoxicated, court records show.
Robert Engles, 73, of Northwest 76th Drive, walked up to the Renaissance Charter School at University students shortly after dismissal from the school, located at 8399 N. University Dr., on April 19, the records show. He allegedly lifted his shirt to reveal a Smith & Wesson handgun and “told the children to stop laughing before he shoots them,” according to documents filed by Broward Sheriff’s Office Tamarac deputies.
The kids were afraid Engles would kill them, so they ran away.
Engles jumped in his car and chased them around the parking lot where they were hanging out, not far from their school, deputies said.
The chase was recorded by the students, who turned the video over to BSO, according to the records.
At some point, Engles fell out of his car and was injured, according to BSO. Deputies took him into custody and recovered his gun before authorities brought him to Woodmont Hospital for treatment.
He appeared to be intoxicated, deputies said.
Deputies said that two of the schoolkids later picked Engles out of a photo lineup, identifying him as the man with the gun.
Records show Engels was booked into the Broward Main Jail and freed on a $10,000 bond.
He is charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He has not entered a plea, records show.
Court records did not indicate that any of the school kids were hurt.
Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsJuly 18, 2023Detectives Search for Serial Thief who Struck 4 Times at North Lauderdale Walmart
- NewsJuly 16, 2023Detectives Search for Missing Tamarac Man
- NewsJuly 5, 2023Lauderhill Boy Suffers Facial Burns, Partial Amputation of Fingers in Fireworks Accident
- NewsJune 30, 2023North Lauderdale Woman Struck by SUV Dies