By Kevin Deutsch
A 73-year-old Tamarac man is out on bond after he allegedly brandished a pistol, threatened to shoot a group of school kids, and chased them down with his car while intoxicated, court records show.
Robert Engles, 73, of Northwest 76th Drive, walked up to the Renaissance Charter School at University students shortly after dismissal from the school, located at 8399 N. University Dr., on April 19, the records show. He allegedly lifted his shirt to reveal a Smith & Wesson handgun and “told the children to stop laughing before he shoots them,” according to documents filed by Broward Sheriff’s Office Tamarac deputies.
The kids were afraid Engles would kill them, so they ran away.
Engles jumped in his car and chased them around the parking lot where they were hanging out, not far from their school, deputies said.
The chase was recorded by the students, who turned the video over to BSO, according to the records.
At some point, Engles fell out of his car and was injured, according to BSO. Deputies took him into custody and recovered his gun before authorities brought him to Woodmont Hospital for treatment.
He appeared to be intoxicated, deputies said.
Deputies said that two of the schoolkids later picked Engles out of a photo lineup, identifying him as the man with the gun.
Records show Engels was booked into the Broward Main Jail and freed on a $10,000 bond.
He is charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He has not entered a plea, records show.
Court records did not indicate that any of the school kids were hurt.
Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.12.26Tamarac Crime Update: Carjacking and Drug Overdose
- News2022.12.18Tamarac Man Had Sex With Child, Solicited Explicit Photos
- News2022.12.18Tamarac Crime Update: Burglar Uses Rock to Smash Store Window, Steal Merchandise
- News2022.12.10Tamarac Crime Update: Four Vehicles Stripped of Tires, Rims