On August 14, voters will have a chance to elect the next School Board member to represent Tamarac as well as Coral Springs, Parkland, North Lauderdale and parts of Margate.
School Board candidates Abby Freedman and Shelly Solomon met at the Coral Springs Charter School on October 3, to discuss issues that would affect our schools. This free event was sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Broward.
Freedman lives in Parkland with her husband and three boys. Two of them are at Stoneman Douglas, and the youngest is at Heron Heights.
She has Law degree from Stetson University College of Law, a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from University of Florida, she is has been certified in elementary education in grades 1-6 from FAU.
“I am a mother and advocate for children in regular, special needs, and gifted programs via my three children who attend District 4 elementary, middle, and high schools. My business degree, law degree, and elementary education course work, along with my life experiences as a financial officer, budget coordinator, legal intern at the Pentagon, and elementary school teacher, will assist me to properly analyze situations, understand perspectives, and implement policies.”
Freedman’s priorities are:
- Lowering class size and providing essentials to operate
- Retain and entice quality teachers
- Prevent waste, and use a checks and balance system;
- Put priorities and the budget in order
- Give students skills needed to succeed
- and TEACH NOT TEST
Freedman says, “My background demonstrates that I bring a broad and unique perspective to the school board. Additionally, I am the only candidate for this seat who is not accepting donations from outside interests. I am running to be your next school board member so I can take special interests out of our schools and bring education back into the classroom where it belongs!”
Major Endorsement: Sun-Sentinel
Rochelle “Shelly” Solomon
Rochelle “Shelly” Solomon lives in Coral Springs is the mother of Lexi, 7th grade, Jake 8th grade and twins Ashley and Adam who are seniors.
Solomon is a Florida Bar attorney, a certified life coach, certified mental toughness coach (Shelly also coaches/mentors student athletes) and a child advocate.
Solomon was a former professional tennis player on the Women’s Tennis Association, graduated Cum Laude from UCLA and Cum Laude from Nova Law School.
She has spent a good part of her life volunteering in the Broward County community, and for the last 12 years in the schools at the local level, in the district and in Tallahassee. She spent the last year doing community work with Anti-Bullying efforts collaboratively with the BSO, Anti-Defamation League and Southern Poverty Law Center, with local businesses that are partners with the schools and with city/education committees.
After spending considerable time with students, parents, teachers, business and community leaders, Solomon filed to run for School Board so she could be the voice representing the diverse needs of all District 4 communities and ensure all Broward County students receive a quality education in a safe learning environment.
Issues Solomon will pursue:
- Fully fund the classroom and have equity of resources
- A National Norm Reference Achievement Test to measure some part of student achievement and learning gains. (not the FCATs),
- Fair and just compensation for all employees.
- Rigorous AND relevant coursework including art and physical activities and;
- Ensure schools are safe and there is full implementation of the Anti-bullying policy.
Solomon believes she is the wise choice for School Board, District 4. She says she will fight to make sure the budget process is vetted with the public, that the public feels their voice and input matters and that there is transparency and integrity with school and district decisions. Solomon believes she has the heart, passion, and experience and has collaborated to write School District Public Policy (the Anti-Bullying Policy).
Major Endorsement: Broward Teachers Union
Notes: Thank you to the City of Coral Springs for providing video footage. Both Solomon and Freedman are sponsors of our parent company, Talk Media.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.06.08Celebrating Excellence: Meet Our Local Valedictorians and Salutatorians for 2023
- News2023.05.31Temple Beth Torah Sha’aray Tzedek Holds Shabbat Services in Spanish, Hebrew and English
- News2023.05.27Planet Fitness Launches High School Summer Pass Program to Combat Teen Obesity and Boost Mental Health
- News2023.05.26Joint Tactical Training Exercise to Commence in Broward County