By: Sharon Aron Baron
Dislike children or waking up at the crack of dawn?
Do you have frequent headaches?
Then this isn’t the job for you.
But if you love children, are an excellent driver who needs a job, then Broward County Public Schools Transportation Department is hosting recruitment fairs for those who are interested in getting behind the yellow school bus wheel.
Here’s the most important part: You must have an excellent driving record, effective communication skills and enjoy working with students.
The recruitment fair events will be held on Tuesday, July 30; Thursday, August 1; and Saturday, August 3 from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., each day at the Westfield Broward Mall, 8000 W Broward Blvd. in Plantation. Visitors to the recruitment fair can apply for part- and full-time bus operator and bus attendant positions.
The School District offers a competitive salary and great benefits, including medical, dental, vision, paid time off and other incentives. The District also provides free bus driver training for qualified applicants.
Bus Operator qualifications include:
• Must have at least five years licensed driving experience
• Must have a valid driver’s license with:
- Preferred (CDL) Class A or B with Passenger and School Bus Endorsements; or
- Class E Florida Driver’s License and Driving Permit for CDL Class A or B with Passenger and School Bus Endorsements (applicant may visit any DMV office to take written tests)
• Must complete and pass drug and alcohol test (fee $65.25); physical exam; security background check (fee $70); and bus driver training course (provided free of charge)
Documents to bring to the recruitment fair include: completed application, Florida Department of Motor Vehicles Report (MVR), driver’s license, social security card and resume.
Potential applicants in Coral Springs, Tamarac, Margate, Parkland and around Broward County can also apply online at www.pupiltrans.org/employment.html or at a Transportation Terminal site. For locations or questions, call Pupil Transportation at 754-321-4400.
Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk and Parkland Talk.
Tamarac Talk was created in 2010 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Tamarac.