By: Sharon Aron Baron
Qualifying period is over in Tamarac and interested candidates that will be running in November’s election are on the ballot, with the exception of District Four City Commissioner Debra Placko, of Woodmont Country Club, who won her seat unopposed.
With no one filing to run against her, Placko will serve in her appointed seat for an additional four years starting in November. Placko was appointed back in February after the seat was left empty in January after Mayor Beth Talabisco was resuspended by Governor Rick Scott. Talabisco was replaced by Commissioner Harry Dressler which left an empty commission seat in District four.
The mayoral race has a challenger with Mike Gelin, who resides in Hampton Hills. Initially, Gelin was running as a city commissioner in District Two, but decided to run as mayor instead.
“I am running for Mayor of Tamarac to bring new and bold leadership to help refocus the commission and the community on creating the positive bright future we all envision for Tamarac.” Gelin wrote in a statement.
Harry Dressler, who resides in Woodmont County Club, has also qualified for the seat, and is currently mayor. He has served as city commissioner in District Four since 2006.
In District Two, Michelle Gomez and Stewart Webster have both qualified. Gomez, who lives in the Woodlands Country Club, is currently Vice Mayor and was appointed twice: first after City Commissioner Patte Atkins-Grad was suspended from office, and then again after Atkins-Grad resigned after a successful recall effort.
Webster opened his campaign account in 2013 and resides in Versailles Gardens Condominiums. He previously ran for the city commission in 2003 and school board back in 2010.
The election for mayor and city commission will be held during the general election on November 4, 2014.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.01.18Chabad of Coral Springs Holds Food Distribution on Tuesday
- News2021.01.18Tamarac Crime and Arrest Update Through January 11
- News2021.01.15Taddeo and Daley Re-File Legislation to Repeal Unconstitutional Gun Regulation Restriction on Local Governments
- News2021.01.12Man Faces Murder Charges After Setting Girlfriend on Fire