By: Sharon Aron Baron
Broward Sheriff’s Office Detectives want to put a stop to a pair of scammers who are targeting Tamarac residents’ credit cards by posing as bank employees.
This happened to 76 year-old resident David Assaf on May 22, who had five credit and debit cards stolen under the pretense that the chip had to be changed.
Here’s how the scam works: a woman calls the victim and claims to be a bank fraud investigator and tells the them that there is fraudulent activity on the victim’s bank-issued card that needs to be resolved immediately. The victim is then told that a bank representative will come to the victim’s home to confiscate the card. Then, another woman shows up to the victim’s home and promises to swap out the bank card with one that is chip-enabled. Sometimes the suspect remains on the phone while the victim opens the door for the other suspect.
The suspects, who may have accomplices, immediately use the stolen cards to make ATM withdrawals or retail purchases.
Surveillance video from Walmart following the theft shows the women entering the store purchasing two 50-inch flat-screen televisions sets.
Detectives have released photos taken June 16 at an ATM following the theft of 48-year-old Edward Donovan’s debit card.
The suspects are described as black females in their 20s or 30s. One is said to be heavyset and the other appears to have a thin build. They dress casually in jeans, scrubs or a dress.
Anyone with information is asked to contact BSO Det. Nora Schwartz at 954-321-4763. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or online at browardcrimestoppers.org. Anonymous tips that lead to an arrest are eligible for a reward of up to $3,000.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.03.22FBI Miami Warns of $13 Million ‘Grandparent Scam’ Targeting Seniors
- News2023.03.21The Voice of Romance, Johnny Mathis, Celebrates 67 Years in Music with a Special Performance in Coral Springs
- News2023.03.19Woman Dies 5 Weeks After Multi-Vehicle Crash in North Lauderdale
- News2023.03.18Adopt These Adorable Pets: Onyx and Toes Are Looking for Their Forever Homes at the Humane Society of Broward County