By: Sharon Aron Baron
The JP Taravella DECA Team returned from the International Conference in Orlando with several awards. The Conference was held the last weekend in April and attended by 18,000 students across the U.S. and seven other countries.
DECA is an international association that prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. At last weekend’s conference, JP Taravella’s 9/11 110-story Memorial Stair Climb Public Relations Project placed in the Top 10 in the World among 180 schools in their event. Co-Chairs Aaron Mitchell, Ambalika Kangal-Tirado, and Rachael Christopher worked in the development of the project, writing the 30-page manual and presenting it to two sets of judges.
“They are phenomenal students and passionate DECA members,” said DECA advisor Jamie Simmons. “I am so amazed at their leadership and coach-ability.”
Lauren Echols, a three time international competitor, was a Finalist in her Hotel and Lodging Event (top 18). She also placed in the top 10 among 180 students who were tested in her occupational area. “She has a great work ethic and attitude,” said Simmons.
All 23 DECA members represented JPT well and expanded their competitive edge and social and leadership skills. Testing, business roles play situations, written events and presentations rounded out their academic and life experiences on the trip.
Advisors Jamie Simmons, Laurie Acosta, and Sandra Wilder wrote that they were very proud and pleased with the effort of their students.
JP Taravella High School is a Broward County Public School located in Coral Springs and serves Coral Springs and Tamarac residents.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2020.11.2910 Auto Burglaries Reported in Tamarac in this Week’s Crime Update
- News2020.11.28Clear Space by Safety Disposing Hazardous Waste December 5
- News2020.11.28Broward County Public Schools Awarded Grants to Broaden Participation in Computer Science
- News2020.11.25Tamarac History: Former U.S. Congressman Once Made his Home in the Woodlands Country Club