By: Sharon Aron Baron
Piper High School’s Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) Academic Team has earned a spot in the 2017 U.S. Army JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship.
After advancing through two phases of online competitions, the team will compete in person at the Championship event held at The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., June 23 – 27, 2017.
In the online competitions the Piper High JROTC team earned top scores out of nearly 1,500 Army JROTC teams from around the world. Piper High is one of only 25 Army JROTC Academic Bowl teams in the nation to advance to the National Academic Bowl competition, which includes an all-expense paid trip to the Championship in the District of Columbia.
During the two fast-paced preliminary rounds, students were tested on their knowledge of JROTC curriculum, English, math and science. One of the main goals of the JROTC Academic Bowl is to prepare students for state exit/graduation exams, as well as college entrance exams, such as the SAT and ACT.
The winner of the U.S. Army JROTC Academic Championship will compete against winners of the U.S. Air Force, Marine Corps and Navy JROTC Academic Bowls in the JROTC Joint Service Academic Bowl Championship.
The JROTC Leadership and Academic Bowl is a nationally recognized academic competition created exclusively for JROTC students. By participating, cadets learn the values of citizenship, academic competition, and college opportunity. The competition creates tremendous opportunities for JROTC cadets by allowing them to demonstrate leadership and academic abilities.
The event is sponsored by the U.S. Army Cadet Command, JROTC Headquarters and is conducted by College Options Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to enriching the academic development of high school students and assisting them with their preparation for higher education.
Although Piper High School is located in Sunrise, many students from Tamarac attend this school.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.02.07BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet in Tamarac
- News2023.02.06Tragic Murder Mystery Solved: Two Suspects Arrested for Killing of Tamarac Resident
- News2023.02.06Apply Now for $1,200 Scholarships Offered to Florida College Students
- News2023.02.03Bite into Bliss and Empower Young Women: Get Your Boxes of Girl Scout Cookies Today