By: Sharon Aron Baron
Residents interested in running for office have a chance to qualify during this week only at the city clerk’s office in Tamarac. Starting on noon Monday, June 16, through noon on June 20, residents may file qualifying documents at the city clerk’s office for several open positions.
The following have opened campaign accounts. New candidates will be added after the qualifying dates end.
The Mayor’s seat will be open in November after Mayor Beth Talabisco was suspended from office. Newly appointed Mayor Harry Dressler has opened a campaign account. Dressler, self-employed, and a resident of Woodmont, won both elections as a City Commissioner in District Four in 2006 and 2009 unopposed.
District Four City Commissioner
Also confirmed, recently appointed Commissioner Debra Placko will be running for the District Four City Commission seat, covering Woodmont Country Club and the Sunflower-Heathgate area. Placko lives in Woodmont’s Palm Ridge community.
District Two City Commissioner
Mike Gelin, who lives in Hampton Hills, has announced he is running for city commissioner. Gelin is a Commercial Insurance Advisor and Employee Benefits Consultant.
Vice Mayor Michelle Gomez, an attorney who lives in the Woodlands, has also filed for the seat she was appointed for back in October.
Also running is Stewart Webster, a tax preparer and consultant and resident of Versailles Gardens. He previously ran for the city commission in 2003 and the school board in 2010.
For more information on running for office, please go to the city website or contact the city clerk’s office. City of Tamarac
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2022.01.19Mayor Gomez Reselected to National League of Cities Fed Advocacy Committee
- News2022.01.14Man Loses 83 Pounds After Bariatric Surgery
- News2022.01.05Pets of the Week: Prince, Mia and Nami Are Looking for Forever Homes
- News2022.01.03Tamarac Offering Environmentally-Friendly Christmas Tree Disposal