By: Matt Rothman
It has been quite a good year for both the J.P. Taravella boys and girls soccer teams, led by their seniors.
The J.P. Taravella girls soccer team continues to be led by their eight seniors this year.
The Trojans are coming off a 6-0 win over Deerfield Beach High School on Tuesday, with a pair of seniors contributing three goals. Kaydine Celeste picked up goals five and six, while Breanna Holmes also recorded a goal. Senior Alyssa Merisier shined with five goals and three assists this year, along with Adamarie Cruz, Toosha Tookes, Brooke Herzog, and Jadeisa Franck.
The Trojans also got contributions from some of their younger players. Mackenzie Nezat had two goals in their latest win, while Melanie Bierman also had one. Freshman Mia Marshall-Hewitt currently leads the team with 11 goals. The Trojans have had 13 players score goals this year and have outscored their opponents 46-15.
They head to their final regular season game with a record of 9-3-1. JPT will look for their tenth win against Nova High School on Thursday, Jan. 19, at 5 p.m. The Titans are 7-6 this year and have won their last four games.
The J.P. Taravella boys soccer team has sic seniors. Those players are Leos Kennedy, Zach Zub, Chrisley Flerismond, Kenan Malme, Dorian Miller and Daniel Freay. The Trojans got off to a solid start this year under first-year Head Coach Sergio Mosquera going 5-1. They also outscore their opponents 17-6 but have not picked up a win in their last eight games.
On Wednesday, they most recently fell 3-1 against Cypress Bay High School. JPT heads into their final regular season game against Coral Glades on Tuesday, Jan. 17, at 6 p.m. The Jaguars are 4-3-4 and have a first-year head coach in Marc Lyon. Coral Glades also fell 3-1 against Cypress Bay on Tuesday.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 19, 2023TS Aquatics Swimmers Shine in Postseason Competitions
- NewsNovember 18, 2023Tawannah McLemore Leads The Way For J.P. Taravella Swim Team in State Championship
- NewsNovember 9, 20233 J.P. Taravella Baseball Players Officially Sign Letter of Intent
- NewsNovember 8, 2023J.P. Taravella Cross Country Impresses in Regionals; Soccer Teams Begin Season