By: Sharon Aron Baron
Talk Media, the parent company of Tamarac Talk, took home first place for Independent Website at the Florida Press Club’s 2019 Excellence in Journalism competition on November 2.
The event, which recognizes journalists from all over Florida, was held at the Waterstone Resort in Boca Raton featuring author John Grogan, international bestselling author of “Marley & Me” and “The Longest Trip Home.”
After selling eight million copies translated into more than 30 languages worldwide, in 2008, “Marley & Me” was made into a movie starring Owner Wilson and Jennifer Aniston. A native of Detroit, Grogan spent 25 years as a journalist for daily newspapers, covering county government for the Sun-Sentinel, where he later became a columnist.
Frances DeVore founded the Florida Women’s Press Club in 1950, as a way to fight inequities that kept women from career advancement in the news industry. The name was later changed to the Florida Press Club and is now led by former Sun-Sentinel writer, Anne Geggis. The organization counts hundreds of Florida journalists among its ranks at newspapers across the state.
Covering news and politics in northwest Broward County, Talk Media was chosen based on timely and relevant news of the day as well as articles that were good examples of feature reporting in independent online news.
This year’s winner of the Frances DeVore Public Service award went to the Sun-Sentinel for their coverage of Parkland. First Runner-Up was Julie K. Brown, Emilly Michot, for their “Perversion of Justice” coverage for the Miami Herald. Second Runner-Up was awarded to Suzane Hirt, Frank Fernandez, Dinah Voyles Pulver for “The Truth about Shootings” coverage for the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
To join the Florida Press Club, go to FPC.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.09.14Broward County Schools Participates in ‘Dads Take Your Child to School Day’
- News2021.09.09Local Filmmaker Holds Screening of ‘I Wanna Be A Criminal’ in Tamarac
- News2021.09.07Broward County Public Schools Hiring Bus Drivers for 2021-22 School Year
- News2021.09.01Reserve Your Space at the Next City-Wide Garage Sale