By Selene Raj
At their last meeting, the city commission proclaimed June to be Caribbean American Heritage Month in Tamarac.
The proclamation was requested by Vice Mayor Marlon Bolton, who is of Jamaican heritage, and Tamarac’s first Caribbean American Vice Mayor.
Carried out by Mayor Michelle Gomez, she said Caribbean Americans had made countless contributions to the fabric of the nation and enhanced and advanced American society for generations.
The proclamation was issued to show appreciation for the Caribbean Americans in Tamarac.
“Tamarac is now a minority-majority city with a strong Caribbean and Hispanic community,” said Bolton, referring to the fact that people of color make of the majority of the city’s population.
An article in Caribbean National Weekly said Tamarac was especially attractive to Caribbean Americans, for its friendliness, safety, diversity, and residential property boom.
Though they did not schedule any events, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and social distancing guidelines, Bolton said it was important that the proclamation is issued.
He said that Caribbean nationals bring warmth and a sense of pride wherever they go.
“I celebrate the warmth and every member of our community who hails from Caribbean parentage,” said Bolton.
While there aren’t any real celebrations planned, the commission did encourage residents to learn about the history of Caribbean Americans, their contributions to the community, and to shop locally at their businesses.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. She's completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- News2020.09.27Tamarac Talk Interviews Candidates for City Commission District 1
- News2020.09.25Tamarac Talk Interviews Candidates for City Commission District 3
- News2020.09.22Feeding South Florida Food Distributions Continue in Tamarac and Nearby Cities
- News2020.09.22Drive-Thru Halloween Haunt Provides Safer Option for Tamarac Holiday Celebrations