Summer is officially here, and there is much to experience in Tamarac!
Golf enthusiasts can celebrate on July 4th at the Colony West Gold Club’s 4-person scramble. Participants will receive a tee gift, prizes, and lunch. To reserve your spot, visit https://bit.ly/3gLA6gS or call Colony West at (954) 721-7710.
Also, be sure to mark your calendars for the Tamarac Twin Cup, a two-day, 9-hole golf competition at Woodmont Country Club and Colony West on Wednesday, July 28, and Wednesday, August 4! To register, visit bit.ly/3h6HbZN or call the Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce at (954) 655-7569.
Thursday, July 8, the City will host a ribbon-cutting for the next round of public art installations along Tamarac’s Inspiration Way. The event is scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m. at the open field next to the Parks and Recreation Administration Building, located at 6001 Nob Hill Road, Tamarac, FL 33321.
Take advantage of Caporella Aquatic Center’s summer sessions! Two daily sessions are available from 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Sunday. Entry fees and safety procedures are available at tamarac.org/539/Caporella-Aquatic-Center. Also, teens looking to stay fit over the summer can take advantage of the Caporella Aquatic Center’s discounted gym memberships, available until August 31. For program and registration details, please call the Caporella Fitness Center at (954) 597-3660.
BSO-Tamarac District is offering residents in its jurisdiction a free “Vacation Home Check” program. Deputies will drive by unoccupied residences and perform a daily perimeter check for signs of a break-in or suspicious activity. To sign-up, request a Vacation Home Check Form by calling BSO-Tamarac District at (954) 720-2225. As a reminder, the BSO-Tamarac District non-emergency phone line can be reached at (954) 764-HELP or (954) 764-4357.
This month, I’m excited to host an event in honor of National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day on Tuesday, July 27. The event begins at 5:00 p.m. at Tamarac Veterans’ Park, 7825 Southgate Blvd.
I am so grateful to everyone who participated in the Shred-A-Thon at King’s Point. Despite the rainy weather, 248 cars came by to have documents securely shredded and disposed of! Thank you to SafeGuard Document Destruction, BSO-Tamarac District, our Parks & Recreation Team, the Public Services Department, Kings Point of Tamarac, and Kiwanis of Tamarac for all of your efforts.
I had the pleasure of wishing two special Tamarac women a Happy 100th Birthday this week, Anna celebrated on June 30, and Eleanor celebrated on July 1. We wish you both the very best and many more wonderful years around the sun!
We also got to celebrate Kiwanis Founder’s Day in person this year! Congratulations to Julie Fishman for winning the Ron Hawthorne Humanitarian Award. I’d also like to applaud the following scholarship recipients named during this event:
Myla Mashack – Alvin E. Entin Scholarship
Natalie Schlecht – Russell Miller Thompson Scholarship
Cheyenne Clifton – Richard C. Entin Scholarship
The second installment of the Realtor “Summertime Municipal Series” will take place between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. on Friday, July 16, via Zoom. The event features a panel discussion by local Mayors on issues related to their municipalities and offers them a chance to answer general questions. To register for the webinar, visit https://bit.ly/2Tr7PEJ.
Broward County has opened registration for special needs hurricane shelters. Signing up for this service offers vulnerable residents transportation to designated shelters in case of a hurricane evacuation. For more information and qualifications, please contact Broward County Hurricane Preparedness at (954) 831-3902 or visit www.broward.org.
Broward County is still accepting applications for COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance. To apply and view eligibility requirements, please visit https://www.broward.org/RentAssistance or call 1 (888) 692-7203.
Food distributions will continue every Saturday, from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., while supplies last, at the Korean United Methodist Church of South Florida, 6501 W. Commercial Blvd.
Our next Budget Workshop has been re-scheduled for Wednesday, July 7. It will take place at Tamarac City Hall in Conference Room 105, from 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This workshop will also be streamed live.
Important Safety Reminders
- Never give your personal information or personal belongings to unverified strangers or businesses.
- Scammers often pressure victims into acting quickly. Resist the sense of urgency to respond to the person contacting you and notify the police if you feel threatened or in danger.
- Search the internet for any business and contact information for that business before making a decision.
- Be cautious and don’t download files, pictures, or any attachments from unknown senders. Check the sender’s name in the “From” section of the email. If you don’t recognize it, don’t open it and delete it. If sent from a business you recognize, visit their secure website to get their phone number and call them.
- Shut down the device or browser when you encounter a locked screen or pop-up screen. This is how malware (malicious software) spread.
- If you believe you are a victim of a scam or elder fraud, please call the local FBI field office at (754) 703-2000. You may also contact Seniors vs. Crime at (800) 203-2099. Seniors vs. Crime is also available online at http://www.seniorsvscrime.com/. Additionally, complaints can be filed at https://www.ic3.gov/Home/ComplaintChoice.
Happy (belated) Canada Day, Independence Day, Bastille Day, and Eid al-Adha!
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.