By: Sharon Aron Baron
The City of Tamarac held a swearing-in ceremony for two new commissioners to a packed crowd on Monday. Julie Fishman and Marlon Bolton were both elected on November 8. Fishman represents District 3 which covers Kings Point and the Westwood communities and Marlon Bolton represents the District One seat which covers the eastern portion of the city.
Bolton was sworn in by Broward County Commissioner Dale Holness whose district covers Bolton’s area. Holness has known Bolton and sponsored one of his programs which helps children in some of Broward’s poorest areas.
Bolton said that although he will be the first African American elected to the commission in Tamarac’s history, it wasn’t the color of his skin that got him there. He said that it was the people who wanted change, and the people who wanted somebody to represent them and represent them well.
“I promise to represent my community the best way I know how as your new commissioner. I know the road is not going to be easy, but I ask for your help.”
Fishman was sworn in by newly elected Broward County Commissioner Nan Rich. Rich has known Fishman firsthand when she was a legislative aide for her as a State Senator. Fishman thanked her family who had encouraged her and supported her since she filed back in 2015. She also thanked Rich.
“If there’s anything I’ve learned as a public servant, it was because of you.”
Mayor Harry Dressler said that diversity mattered on the commission. Referencing the traditional motto of the United States of America appearing on the Great Seal – E Pluribus Unum (out of many, one).
“I’m delighted to have our commission represent the diversity in our city,” he said.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.09.25Burglar Who Poses at Deputy Breaks Into Tamarac Home
- Events2021.09.24BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet in North Lauderdale
- News2021.09.23Joseph Britner Joins University Hospital and Medical Center as New Chief Operating Officer
- News2021.09.22Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Welcomes 2 New Businesses to Town