This article was previously published and is being featured as one of many of our top stories for 2023.
By Ryan Yousefi
A Tamarac man was arrested and charged with domestic battery by strangulation after choking a woman who asked him to turn down the volume on a religious video he was watching.
On the evening of April 10, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office responded to a domestic violence call in which the victim alleged having been strangled by a man, later identified as Leroy Jackson, 53, of Tamarac.
According to the arrest report, the victim told responding deputies that the altercation began after she asked Jackson to lower the volume of a religious video he was watching on his cellphone while she was trying to sleep.
The report says the victim told law enforcement that the verbal argument escalated to a physical altercation after Jackson grew angry at her request. She told deputies she pushed Jackson away, but he responded by placing both hands on her neck and squeezing to the point of restricting her airflow.
The victim stated she could barely speak and contacted 911 immediately after the defendant released her neck.
According to the report, the victim allowed pictures to be taken of her injuries but refused to provide a sworn taped statement.
After interviewing both the victim and Jackson, deputies took Jackson into arrested Jackson and transported him to the Broward County Main Jail where he was later released on a $1,500 bond.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsFebruary 19, 2024From Prison to Prayer: Dr. Yehudah Pryce’s Path to Spirituality and Judaism
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Chamber Invites Local Businesses to Kings Point Expo on February 26
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Broward Sheriff’s Office to Host Gun Safety Class Geared Toward Child Firearm Education
- NewsFebruary 17, 20245th Annual Jazz Under the Stars Returns to Lauderhill on February 17