By Agrippina Fadel
Nearly one hundred pets were adopted last week at Broward County Animal Care.
From July 17 to July 24, the community stepped up and took home 50 cats and 47 dogs. According to the staff, the shelter is under capacity for the first time in months.
Broward County Animal Care Director Emily Wood said the staff is extremely grateful to all the residents who adopted and fostered pets or volunteered at the shelter in the past weeks.
“We couldn’t do it without you. Although our numbers fluctuate frequently, it feels good to have some breathing room,” she said. In April, Tamarac Talk reported they were overcrowded.
Over the last weekend, dogs like Sugar Ray, who had been at the shelter for months, finally found a loving family.
“Free Fridays,” a weekly event where adoption fees are waived, and the Peanut Butter and Chocolate event, where attendees who donate a jar of peanut butter for dog enrichment receive a free chocolate bar, have helped to bring the community to the shelter and spread awareness about the pets that need a home.
They are asking the community to continue its support during the Clear the Shelters event, starting August 1. The shelter will host a kick-off event on the weekend of Friday, August 5, through Sunday, August 7.
Broward County Animal Care, located at 2400 SW 42nd Street, Fort Lauderdale, is open Tuesday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. All pets are spayed or neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, and given a Broward County license tag.
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- News2023.03.21Woodlands Showdown: City Commission to Decide Golf Course’s Future Amid Community Debate
- News2023.03.21Ticket Alert: The Company Men Bring a Night of Hits to the Kings Point Palace
- News2023.03.21Sunday Matinee at Kings Point Palace: JayCee Driesen Sings Show Tunes and Classic Standards
- News2023.03.21Get Ready for Summer Fun: Camp Tamarac is Now Open for Resident Registration