2022 Emerald Awards winner Mario Rios
By: David Russell
The NatureScape Emerald Award is an annual competition that recognizes businesses, municipalities, schools, and homeowners who have crafted and maintained model Florida-style landscapes that demonstrate visible ecological practices.
The competition is now open and broken into two rounds.
In round one, the committee will evaluate and score the landscapes for the following features: overall design, plant selection, curb appeal, tree canopy, habitat value, and other special features, such as smart irrigation. Those who receive the highest scores will advance.
The judges will score the landscapes in round two and select award winners. Prior winners have typically had landscapes with mostly local native vegetation supporting local and migratory wildlife and or ecological features such as littoral planting at the water’s edge and rain gardens.
Landscapes with FLEPPC Category 1 or Category 2 invasive species are not eligible.
There are six categories to compete in Homeowner, Business, Municipality/School/Government, Special Achievement, Legacy (for prior Emerald Award winners that have continued to maintain a sustainable landscape and have enhanced landscape for five or more years), and Landscape Architects.
The application deadline is December 31, 2022; for any questions or concerns, email Rose Bechard Butman at email@example.com.
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- A Coral Springs native, Florida State University graduate, and eternal optimist, David strives to find the local hidden gems in South Florida. He has a strong interest in technology, finance, and comedy.
- NewsSeptember 23, 2023Tickets On Sale for Family Re’Union Dinner in Tamarac
- NewsSeptember 13, 2023Create Lasting Memories at the Family Re’Union Dinner in Tamarac
- NewsAugust 15, 2023Boost Your Business: Unlock Local Search Secrets with Expert Karen Vick on Aug 17
- NewsAugust 8, 2023Find Out if Your Business is Loan Ready at the Upcoming Chamber Seminar