By Agrippina Fadel
Having an arrest record can negatively affect a person’s life, from missed career and educational opportunities to not getting approved for a lease or rent.
The Broward State Attorney’s Office is hosting a free workshop in Tamarac to help residents seal or expunge their arrest records.
Held on Thursday, June 22, from 3 to 7 p.m., at the Tamarac Community Center, the workshop is hosted in partnership with the Broward County Clerk of Courts, Broward Sheriff’s Office, and the city of Tamarac.
The workshop aims to help residents charged with a crime in Broward County whose cases did not result in a conviction.
According to Broward State Attorney Harold F. Pryor, giving people a second chance is important; an arrest record can prevent an individual from getting a job or finding housing.
“It can be an expensive and time-consuming process: a private attorney can cost over $1,500, and residents may have to visit a few government agencies to track down the documentation they need,” said Pryor.
He explained that at the free workshops like the one held in Tamarac this week, volunteers from the State Attorney’s office, the Clerk of Courts office, BSO, and defense attorneys all work together to help the residents.
“When they leave the workshop, they will know if they qualify for the program and have all the paperwork completed and ready to send to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement,” Pryor said.
The sealing and expungement workshop is free, with government-issued IDs required for participation, and adult and juvenile walk-ins are welcome. To get help figuring out eligibility for the program or free assistance with the process, call the Broward State Attorney’s Office at 954-831-6955.
Tamarac Community Center is located at 8601 West Commercial Blvd.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- NewsFebruary 27, 2024Unleash the Fun at the Tamarac Pet Expo With Dog Parade, Food Trucks, and More
- NewsFebruary 26, 2024Relive the Magic of John Denver with the ‘Back Home Again’ Tribute at Kings Point Palace
- NewsFebruary 19, 2024Catch Comedian Bobby Collins with Special Guest Shelley Keelor at Kings Point Palace
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024Broward County Animal Care Holds ‘Stinky Ex’ Fundraiser for Valentine’s Day