By: Jen Russon
Following the recent death of Jason Stein, an athletic director at J.P. Taravella High School, a celebration of life event is planned for family and friends after the longtime Coral Springs educator died from complications of COVID-19.
The 46-year-old had battled coronavirus in the hospital for three weeks before passing away on August 20. He is survived by his wife Michele Wajser Stein and two daughters, Hailey and Ilana.
The family planned a small, private memorial service, but have created a virtual event for Coach Stein’s friends, students, and colleagues to pay their respects.
Kristen Zanglione, a P.E. teacher and close friend of the Stein family, said she is helping spread the word about her colleague’s celebration of life event.
“There was never a dull moment when Stein was around, nor a quiet moment,” she said. “His heart was larger than many imagined, and his actions always selfless.”
Among the many friends Stein acquired in over 15 years of working for Broward County Public Schools, was Lori Waiser, who organized a GoFundMe in Stein’s name.
Waiser and co-organizer Wendy LeHockey said they created the memorial fund because they wanted to ensure Stein’s family don’t struggle with college expenses for his daughters.
Stein’s wife Michele, the assistant principal at Coral Glades High School, has out-of-pocket medical expenses after Stein’s month-long hospital stay.
The celebration of life for Coach Jason Stein will be held via YouTube by Drew Goldfinger on Tuesday, August 26, at 6 p.m. Friends and family are welcome to share memories, photos and hear favorite songs of the late athletic director.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- Politics2021.04.05Residents Get over 500 Signatures to Stop Tamarac Commission from Naming 2 Streets After Politicians
- News2021.03.24Hoping to Beat the Odds, 46-year-old Undergoes Colectomy at Broward Health Coral Springs
- News2021.03.12Mother-Daughter Teachers Create ‘Destination Dorm’ Scholarship Program
- News2021.03.09Tamarac BSO Welcomes Deputy Kaitlin Spehr as its New Community Liaison