By Sharon Aron Baron
According to the National Safety Council, choking is a leading cause of injury and death in the United States, with an average of nearly 4,000 related deaths reported annually.
Children, especially those under four, are at high risk for choking incidents. With this in mind, State Rep Dan Daley’s decision to file HB 585 is a proactive step towards ensuring the safety of students in public schools.
The inclusion of step-by-step instructions on emergency first aid for choking in public school cafeterias is an important aspect of this bill, according to Daley, and provides students, staff, and visitors with crucial information that can save a life in an emergency.
The bill idea came from students at McArthur High School in Hollywood.
Created as part of the Democracy in Action Initiative, which invites students to propose authentic and original bills for the Legislative Session. Daley was proud to sponsor a student-proposed bill in the Florida House of Representatives.
“By requiring emergency first aid instructions for choking in public school cafeterias, this bill will ensure the health and safety of students in the event of an emergency,” said Daley.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk. Don’t miss reading Margate Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.03.3023-Year-Old Man Fatally Shot in North Lauderdale; Broward Sheriff’s Office Homicide Unit Investigating
- News2023.03.22FBI Miami Warns of $13 Million ‘Grandparent Scam’ Targeting Seniors
- News2023.03.21The Voice of Romance, Johnny Mathis, Celebrates 67 Years in Music with a Special Performance in Coral Springs
- News2023.03.19Woman Dies 5 Weeks After Multi-Vehicle Crash in North Lauderdale