By: Sharon Aron Baron
Tamarac City commissioners approved the design of an art piece to be installed along Commercial Boulevard.
In September 2015, a 20 x 30 easement on Commercial Boulevard was approved by the art committee for a sculpture to be installed west of Rock Island Road and east of NW 64th Ave near the Woodlands Country Club entrance. A call was put out a call for artists, and 142 responses were received. Of those, 79 were ranked by the committee and five were selected for presentations to the commission in April.
The initial budget was $175,000, however, as the project scope was expanded, they increased it to $200,000. The art piece that the commission chose was Roger Stoller’s “Wavehelix” piece, however, they wanted it to be taller. Stoller, then designed an original piece “Vitality” for the art committee who, in turn, presented it the commission on Monday morning where it was unanimously approved.
The new sculpture will take one year to create and the artist said he can be present at the unveiling. Lighting will also be included by the artist which will illuminate the sculpture at night.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk and Parkland Talk.
Tamarac Talk was created in 2010 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Tamarac.
- News2020.01.282020 Teen Summit Held in Tamarac
- News2020.01.24Clear Space by Safely Disposing Hazardous Waste on February 1
- News2020.01.23Tamarac Woman Dies After Single-Vehicle Accident in Coral Springs
- News2020.01.23Broward County Offering Express Service from BB&T Center to Miami International Airport