By Saraana Jamraj
On Wednesday, the city commissioners of Tamarac are set to discuss and vote on ordinances and resolutions that cover everything from resident assistance programs and Woodlands development to white supremacy and extended nightclub hours.
The consent agenda will include a resolution authorizing a purchase agreement with the Florida Design Drilling Corporation for the water treatment in District 2 for $243,269.70.
The commission continues with an item they’ve been working on for weeks: a resolution denouncing white supremacy.
They previously had a teary discussion on the topic with all in agreement that it needed to be denounced, but disagreeing on how big of a role the current president should play in such a denouncement.
Also returning to the discussion is the selection of art for Colony West’s suspended ceiling sculpture.
Commissioner Mike Gelin requested an agenda item on hiring an independent third party to survey residents of the Woodlands community to determine the number of residents who are for, against, or neutral on the proposed development.
Perhaps the most relevant item will be a discussion on possibly moving $250,000 from the General Fund, and repurposing those funds for Resident Assistance Programs as a result of COVID-19.
Throughout the meeting, and leading up to it, residents are allowed to submit public comments via Facebook live stream, through email to the city clerk at CityClerk@Tamarac.org.
The meeting will be held on March 27 at 9:30 a.m. More can be viewed on their agenda here.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. She's completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- News2020.09.27Tamarac Talk Interviews Candidates for City Commission District 1
- News2020.09.25Tamarac Talk Interviews Candidates for City Commission District 3
- News2020.09.22Feeding South Florida Food Distributions Continue in Tamarac and Nearby Cities
- News2020.09.22Drive-Thru Halloween Haunt Provides Safer Option for Tamarac Holiday Celebrations