By Kevin Deutsch
A Tamarac man was arrested Saturday for killing a six-week-old puppy by throwing it against a wall, court records show.
Brayden Niemczyk, 18, became incensed when the male dog defecated on his bed Saturday at the Spectra Apartments, leading him to hurl the puppy against the wall, inflicting terminal injuries, according to an arrest affidavit.
The puppy was still being bottle-fed and had required special care, records show.
Niemczyk later texted his girlfriend to tell her what happened to the dog.
“I’m evil,” Niemczyk said in their text conversation, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
When the woman came home and confronted Niemczyk about his abuse of the puppy, “he picked up a knife and held it and told her he was going to kill her,” the affidavit states.
Niemczyk and his mother brought the puppy to Scarbrough Animal Hospital in Sunrise. Veterinarians transferred the dog to VCA Hollywood Animal Hospital because of the extent of his injuries. There, veterinarians found the dog had extensive brain injuries and euthanized him, records show.
For reasons that remained unclear Friday, the puppy’s name was redacted from Niemczyk’s arrest report.
The accused puppy-killer told investigators with BSO’s Tamarac district that “he felt his girlfriend was upset that he was showing the dog more affection than her,” the affidavit states.
After being thrown against the wall, the puppy suffered cerebral swelling, swelling to the left side of his mouth and left eye, could not move his body, and had no sensation in his legs, deputies said.
“While being transported to the second hospital, [the puppy] was wailing in pain and could not be comforted,” the affidavit states.
Niemczyk was charged with cruelty causing death to an animal and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
A judge ordered him to stay away from the woman who was his girlfriend, the affidavit states.
Records show Niemczyk was being held at the Joseph V. Conte Facility jail on a $10,000 bond Friday.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.12.26Tamarac Crime Update: Carjacking and Drug Overdose
- News2022.12.18Tamarac Man Had Sex With Child, Solicited Explicit Photos
- News2022.12.18Tamarac Crime Update: Burglar Uses Rock to Smash Store Window, Steal Merchandise
- News2022.12.10Tamarac Crime Update: Four Vehicles Stripped of Tires, Rims