By: Matt Rothman
Despite having to wait until day three of the 2021 MLB drafts, J.P. Taravella High School graduate and Coral Springs resident Jack Sinclair got the good news: The Washington Nationals selected him with pick number 473 in the 16th round.
“It feels good to know that I’m being rewarded for everything I’ve done up to this point in my career,” the 2017 graduate said. “It is just a start of a new chapter, and looking forward to the change.”
Sinclair played on the varsity team at JPT for three seasons before he graduated in 2017. He recorded a save in his only appearance as a sophomore and then won seven games his final two seasons with a career ERA of 2.36 and 74 strikeouts.
Sinclair also played first base and hit. 361 with a home run and 17 RBI’s in 133 at-bats.
“Jack was for sure one of the most talented players I had the pleasure of coaching,” said former Coach Alan Clark. “I am very excited that his hard work paid off, and he gets the opportunity to start a professional career in baseball.”
After high school, Sinclair played at the University of Central Florida, where he shined in 2020. Despite the season being cut short due to COVID-19, Sinclair went 4-0 with a 1.85 ERA out of the bullpen. As a senior, he made 12 starts and finished his college career with 111 strikeouts.
Sinclair has played baseball since t-ball and made his way up through little league and travel ball.
Up next, he will work his way up through the Nationals minor league system as Washington is only two years removed from winning a World Series.
The Nationals are a team with a stellar rotation in Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, and Patrick Corbin, and Sinclair hopes to be the next young pitcher to contribute when he is ready.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 19, 2023TS Aquatics Swimmers Shine in Postseason Competitions
- NewsNovember 18, 2023Tawannah McLemore Leads The Way For J.P. Taravella Swim Team in State Championship
- NewsNovember 9, 20233 J.P. Taravella Baseball Players Officially Sign Letter of Intent
- NewsNovember 8, 2023J.P. Taravella Cross Country Impresses in Regionals; Soccer Teams Begin Season