By Saraana Jamraj
After a car crash involving an improper left turn, a man was left trapped in his car.
On September 19, while exiting the plaza at 7000 W Commercial Boulevard approximately 3:54 a.m., Phillip Leeds, 61, collided with a garbage truck being driven by Craig Williams, 45, from Miami, who was making an illegal left turn.
While exiting the plaza, Williams was traveling eastbound on W Commercial Boulevard, when he made the illegal left turn and told authorities he waited until the roadway was clear, then turned. Leeds was in the middle of the road, he said, stationary and facing north at the time.
After Williams turned, Leeds, driving a Mercury Grand Marquis, struck the rear end of the truck, causing him to drive off the roadway. Williams told police that the crash came out of nowhere.
He proceeded to provide aid to Leeds, but then realized he was trapped inside his car. Police reported that Leeds had multiple lacerations throughout his body and the appearance of a head injury.
Lauderhill Fire Rescue responded, cut Leeds out of the car, and then later transported him to Broward General Hospital.
The roads were dry, and the weather was clear, but it was dark. Neither driver was suspected of distracted driving, alcohol, or drug use. Williams was placed at fault due to the illegal left turn.
The crash tied up Commercial Boulevard for hours through the morning commute. The city of Tamarac initially reported via their Facebook account that the accident was fatal; however, it was not.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. She's completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- News2020.08.06Tamarac Offers Upgrades for Qualifying Neighborhoods in Partnership Program
- News2020.08.06City Announces Limited Park, Fitness Center Hours in Tamarac
- News2020.08.06Quince Supermarket Opens in Tamarac with a Variety of International Products
- News2020.08.04Tamarac Launches Small Business Grants