By Sharon Aron Baron
The Broward Sheriff’s Office is searching for a man who posed as a roofing contractor scamming a Tamarac homeowner out of money.
And this wasn’t his first time.
It began last December 19, when a Woodlands resident filed a police report after being scammed out of $500 by a man later identified as Sammy Becho, 41, claiming to be a contractor for A1 Roofing and Waterproofing.
Becho was supposed to do repairs to the home; however, there was no written contract between the suspect and the homeowner.
The homeowner told police that Becho damaged his home in the process, leaving holes in the roof and paint on the exterior walls along with damage to the grass.
The victim discovered Becho was impersonating a business and using a license number belonging to a company in Sarasota and a company’s name in Davie, FL. He spoke with the owners of both companies who said someone was using their information without their authorization and no one by his name ever worked for them.
The homeowner made the check out to an Alexandra Garcia, who accompanied Garcia, and the check was cashed at Ace Cash Express at 5100 W Commercial Blvd in Tamarac.
The homeowner describes Becho as a Hispanic male, medium built, who drives an older model Dodge Ram 1500 pick-up truck (early 2000’s) with a sticker on it that says A1 Roofing and Waterproofing. He stated the female, Alexandra Garcia, may have been his wife and his children were in the car at the time.
The homeowner estimated the cost to fix his roof was between $3,000-$5,000.
In 2018, Becho was arrested for grand theft, as well as falsely identifying himself as a contractor and exploitation of an older adult.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office sent the case to the State Attorney’s Office, and a warrant was issued for him and Garcia. The suspect is originally from California, and they are also looking there as well.
If you know his whereabouts, please contact Detective Gerald Kitchell Tamarac District– Criminal Investigations at 954-247-6013.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- Events2021.09.24BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet in North Lauderdale
- News2021.09.23Joseph Britner Joins University Hospital and Medical Center as New Chief Operating Officer
- News2021.09.22Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Welcomes 2 New Businesses to Town
- News2021.09.21Tamarac Resident Warns Neighbors After Coyote Sighting