By Agrippina Fadel
Michelle Gomez is kicking off the baseball season with a Mayors Play Ball event at the Tamarac Sports Complex.
The annual event is part of the National PLAY BALL initiative, launched in 2015 by Major League Baseball (MLB) and the U.S. Conference of Mayors.
Gomez said she is excited to enjoy an evening of baseball activities and games with the City’s Youth Baseball Coach Pitch Division, ages 7-10.
“I hope residents will join us in supporting the players and the City of Tamarac’s Parks & Recreation staff to promote this fantastic sport and encourage physical fitness in our community,” she said.
Play Ball initiative’s purpose is to reach kids who don’t usually play baseball and strengthen the connection with those who are currently involved in the game.
This year, along with other mayors across the country, Gomez “tipped her cap” to Jackie Robinson in a webinar celebrating the 75th anniversary of him breaking baseball’s color barrier.
Mayors Play Ball is held on Wednesday, May 18, at 6:30 p.m. at Field 1 of the Tamarac Sports Complex.
Got News in Tamarac, North Lauderdale, and Lauderhill? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- News2023.06.05Strike for a Cause by Joining the 6th Annual Chamber Bowling Tournament in Tamarac
- News2023.06.05Get Your Groove On During Free Jazzercise Class with the Mayor
- News2023.06.04Ticket Alert: Don’t Miss Biana Pinchuk and Don Stansfield Double Show in Tamarac
- News2023.06.04Tamarac Honors Juneteenth: Join A Community Celebration of Freedom