By Kevin Deutsch
A major police union on Tuesday endorsed Stuart Michelson in his run for the Tamarac City Commission seat in District 2.
Michelson, a former Sunrise City Attorney and current director of Save the Woodlands, won the endorsement of the International Union of Police Associations Local 6020, which represents around 1,200 Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies and sergeants.
The candidate, who formerly served as special counsel to several Broward County cities, including Parkland, Lauderhill, and Deerfield Beach, has been a Woodlands resident for 25 years.
He is running for the seat currently held by Tamarac Vice Mayor Mike Gelin.
“Candidate Michelson, your prior experience coupled with your statements of funding and supporting law enforcement make you more than qualified for City of Tamarac Commissioner District 2,” Matt Cowart, president of the local, said in a letter announcing the endorsement. “The men and women of the I.U.P.A. Local 6020 are very appreciative of your support for the law enforcement profession…and hopes you are victorious in your election bid for City of Tamarac Commissioner.”
Cowart added: “You have approximately 41 years as an attorney and prior experience representing the City of Deerfield Beach Police Department…The men and women of the I.U.P.A. Local 6020 are very appreciative of your support for the law enforcement profession.”
Michelson, who has devoted much of his time over the last five years to opposing 13th Floor’s development plan for the Woodlands, has said overdevelopment is among the issues driving his run.
Gelin is challenging Tamarac Mayor Michelle J. Gomez for the city’s top elected office in another closely watched Tamarac race.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsJuly 18, 2023Detectives Search for Serial Thief who Struck 4 Times at North Lauderdale Walmart
- NewsJuly 16, 2023Detectives Search for Missing Tamarac Man
- NewsJuly 5, 2023Lauderhill Boy Suffers Facial Burns, Partial Amputation of Fingers in Fireworks Accident
- NewsJune 30, 2023North Lauderdale Woman Struck by SUV Dies