By: Sharon Aron Baron
Tamarac Parks have been closed on Mondays since 2010 and get this: No other city in Broward closes their parks on Mondays!
Here’s the kicker: According to the Broward Property Appraisers Office, our 2013 taxes in Tamarac at 7.28 percent are some of the highest in Broward County, yet our residents are not getting the full services that we are paying for!
Recently at a city commission meeting, after some pressure, the City Commission agreed to open parks up for school holidays that fall on a Monday during the year.
THIS ONLY AMOUNTS TO FIVE OR SIX ADDITIONAL DAYS A YEAR!
This plan is an insult, as families with children still will not have access to the parks over summer vacation! And anyone with a day off on a Monday or has a pet, cannot use any of our parks additional Mondays. Why aren’t taxes reduced for this lower level of service we are getting?
Here’s the other kicker: Tamarac is buying properties left and right to add to their Tamarac Village development. The most recent one was in September for $2 million. Sun Sentinel Sadly, they can’t find the money to open up parks on Mondays.
Why are Tamarac residents accepting mediocrity as the norm? Have we been conditioned not to expect any better?
All it would take is a motion at a city commission meeting to open our parks. So far our Mayor and Commissioners have not done this!
If you believe that our citizens deserve full access into our public parks seven days a week, then click here now to send a message to city hall and demand that they open our parks up, including our dog park. Everyday. Seven Days. No excuses.
Ask them to please vote to open up our parks seven days a weeks at the October 23 City Commission meeting. Your opinion counts.
It’s been three long years of being shortchanged and our citizens need to stand up now. Send an email today.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024J.P. Taravella Drama Club Hosts Community Yard Sale and Craft Show on February 24
- NewsFebruary 16, 2024Detectives Search for Tamarac Man Missing Since Early January
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024“You’re a Fraud”: Tamarac Commissioner Blasts Website Tied to Marlon Bolton
- NewsFebruary 12, 2024Free Boot Camp Held to Boost Students’ Federal Aid Applications