By: Sharon Aron Baron
Learn about Broward County government from an insider’s point of view by applying to be in the the next Broward County Academy class. The Academy is a community education outreach series that provides participants with a unique opportunity to learn about County government and the services it provides to enhance and promote quality of life for residents, businesses and visitors.
The 2016 Academy sessions will be held on ten consecutive Thursdays from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. beginning September 8 and concluding with graduation ceremonies on November 10. The goal of the program is to increase resident involvement in local government, improve communication with the community, inform the community on the role, structure and complexity of County government, encourage community participation in volunteer opportunities, and build potential community leaders. Classroom lectures will be combined with behind-the-scenes tours and interactive experiences.
Applicants must be age 18 or older and reside in Broward County. The 2016 class will be limited to 30 students. There is no registration fee or cost to participants. Applicants must provide their own transportation and are expected to participate in all sessions. A background check is also required for applicants selected for participation.
The deadline for applying is August 5, 2016. Tamarac residents are urged to apply.
Applications for the Broward County Academy are available here, by e-mailing BrowardAcademy@Broward.org, or by calling the Broward County Office of Public Communications at 954-357-6990.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk and Parkland Talk.
Tamarac Talk was created in 2010 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Tamarac.
- News2020.05.29COVID-19 Cases in Tamarac from the Florida Department of Health May 28
- News2020.05.285 Tamarac Seniors Graduate from Calvary Christian Academy During ‘Drive-in’ Ceremony
- News2020.05.28BSO Investigates Multi-Vehicle Crash in Tamarac
- News2020.05.27COVID-19 Cases in Tamarac from the Florida Department of Health May 27