By: Sharon Aron Baron
After one week into the 2016 legislative session, State Senator Chris Smith said they have passed two important bills which will now head to the Governor.
The first one will put money into more resources for those with Autism and Down Syndrome as well as other disabilities. Secondly, they passed a comprehensive water bill that will improve Lake Okeechobee and the St Lucie river’s water sheds.
He said Governor Rick Scott gave his State of the State address in which he talked about extra money and giving it back as tax cuts, but Smith said he did not talk about the 4,000 Veteran’s that were waiting on beds or the 13,000 rape kits yet to be looked at.
Smith said he voted against the fracking bill in committee. “That bill would have stopped communities like Broward County from banning fracking in our community. I could not go for that.”
State Senator Chris Smith represents Tamarac, Lauderhill, North Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Lauderdale Lakes, Oakland Park, and Wilton Manors.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk and Parkland Talk.
Tamarac Talk was created in 2010 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Tamarac.
- News2020.05.29COVID-19 Cases in Tamarac from the Florida Department of Health May 28
- News2020.05.285 Tamarac Seniors Graduate from Calvary Christian Academy During ‘Drive-in’ Ceremony
- News2020.05.28BSO Investigates Multi-Vehicle Crash in Tamarac
- News2020.05.27COVID-19 Cases in Tamarac from the Florida Department of Health May 27